Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Skirt to Dress


My sister is about to go visit my other sister and her family so I thought this would be a great opportunity to make something for my niece, Charlotte. I always see these how to's on how to turn a shirt into something else so I thought I would turn a skirt that I hardly wore at all into a beautiful dress for my niece. I think it came out quite well don't you think?

You will need:
  • Old skirt
  • Scissors
  • Sewing Machine
  • Matching Thread
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Imagination :)
You will need to start out by planning out the dress design. My skirt had a zipper  that had to go and a sash that had to be dealt with in some way. Next I turned the skirt inside out and figured out how wide I wanted the dress to be. Now since I didn't want the zipper I pushed that end out and sew down where I needed the dress to be. I then cut the excess off. 


Then I wrapped the sash around the upper part of the dress and cut what I didn't need off. I needed sleeves so I made sure I had enough after cutting.

I would sew the sleeves on first and then place the sash around so that any thread will not be seen over it. I flipped the dress inside out again for this part. Remember to make sure that they are at the exact same length or else you will have one longer then the other.

For the wrap around at the top I just hot glued it on. It just seemed simplest to me, but feel free to sew it on if you'd like. If that is all you would like then you are officially finished. If not go ahead and add a flower or bow to the mix. Have fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment