Saturday, August 25, 2012

Easy DIY Clay Charms

If your like me and always see all those cute charms, but are thinking "which one would I pick" or "I wish I could have them all". Well I found an easy way to ease the my charm addiction and it's super easy!

You will need:

  • Crayola Air Dry Clay
  • Acrylic Paint
  • Paint Brushes
  • Mod Podge
  • Glitter
  • Floral wire or Jewelry wire
  • Chain of choice
  • Clasps
  • Jump rings
  • Imagination :)
  • And pretty much anything else that will help make your charm
My first creation was inspired by my sister. I saw a bunch of sushi charms that I liked but if I waited for them to arrive it would be way past her birthday when they got here. So I said what the heck lets try this and I was amazingly surprised at how great it turned out. I used dry rice, nonpareil orange sprinkles and black sesame seed to make it look more realistic. To make the shape I just made a sphere and then flattened it into the sushi shape.Then I took a piece and made it into a cylinder type shape. I flattened that one too and placed it around the other piece. I then added all the items above and then for the middle I made different shapes to represent the crab, avocado and green onion. Make sure to cut a piece of wire so it can link to whatever jewelry you are doing. Now I just waited for it to dry. Once it had dried I painted and then placed Mod Podge on it. Now it's time to add your charm to your chain. I got the roll of chain because I knew I was going to more, but they have smaller amounts. Place a jump ring were you want the charm and close tightly so that the charm can't break loose. Then add a jump ring where your clasp is going to go and same thing make sure they are secure. I didn't put a jump ring at the opposite end cause I didn't feel the need, but if you want the clasp to attach to more then the end of the chain do what's best for you. That's all there is too it! :)


It's pretty much the same process for all the charms. The only difference is the way you mold your creation and make it yours!


11 comments:

  1. Very cute. Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those charms are adorable - I didn't realize they were so easy to DIY. Your blog colors are so pretty too. May I make a suggestion? Maybe I'm old, but the font on your posts is really small and hard to read (even with my old lady reading glasses!) There seems to be lots of extra room on the sides, so maybe you can make your blogging space bigger? I found you at the Creative Blog Hop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes that is very true about the font. It's probably cause is so curly but I will adjust it. Thank you for letting me know.

      Delete
  3. What a clever idea, Christina! thank you for visiting my blog. Hope you get a chance to make your own Pottery Barn Knock-off curtains. My daughter loves hers and now I have to do some for the window in her kitchen, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lois. I hope I get the chance to make those curtains too. They look awesome! I'm just a beginner sewer though so we will see.

      Delete
  4. Great idea to make your own! Thanks for sharing at Gettin' Krafty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathie! Enjoy your holiday weekend!:)

      Delete
  5. This would be so fun to do with the kids. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is now opened at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/
    from Wednesday until Sunday.
    Hope to see you there.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete