Wednesday, August 22, 2012

How to prevent your pet from spraying 101





Ok I would now like to say that my husband and I are one of the very few who have graduated in "How to stop your pet from spray 101." :) It sounds funny but you would not believe what we went through just to get our kitten to stop. She is a very special cat and isn't afraid of anything. We wished we had named her Merida because she is so adventurous. So because of this finding method to stop her was going to be tricky. Here are some methods that we tried and worked to keep our other cats from touching those areas ( they have never sprayed though).


  • Homemade citrus spray
  1.  You will need one cup of orange or lemon peels, 2 cups of water and 1 tbsp of citrus soap ( I had a natural, non-toxic kind). 
  2. Place peels and water in a pan and boil for 15 minutes. Then you will let it cool until manageable. 
  3. Now take out the peels and stir in the soap.
  4. Using a funnel pour the mixture into a spray bottle. 
  • Lavender Spray
  1. This one is really simple. Fill your spray bottle with distilled water and add a few drops of lavender oil. 
  •  Two separate litter boxes or more depending on how many cats you have.
  1. This works pretty good except our cats all decided to use the new litter box opposed to shifting between the two. 
  • New litter
  1. We were using a pine type of litter that was pretty awesome and smelled so much better, but the kitten prefers the clumping kind so that's the way we will have to go. 
  • Herbal Extract
  1. We are using one that we got from our Holistic Pet Store that is met for spraying. You can rub it in their ears or place it in their water. If you go to http://www.azmira.com/products/herbal-extracts/  you will find what I am taking about. They have tons that work for all sorts of thing and they work wonders.
There are tons of ways to help stop your pet from spraying, but only you will know what's right for you and your pet. New litter and herbal extract was the way for us and I'm pretty happy about it. :) 

3 comments:

  1. Christina,
    This is great information. I did not know female cats sprayed. I just thought males did this. You did so much research to stop her. I am impressed. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/08/free-bee-sweet-hat-pattern-crocheted.html
    Hope to see you there.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was a challenge,but was well worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. have no pet, but thx for sharing nonetheless and linking it up at our linky party at http://www.fineCraftGuild.com

    ReplyDelete