Friday, August 24, 2012

Sushi Birthday Cake!






Ok it only took me 3 tries but I finally accomplished the recipe I have long been waiting to try, Trimisushi by Sprinkle Bakes. I made a few adjustment to fit me and my needs for this recipe, but I am so excited. I cannot wait to see my sister's face when she see these on her birthday!

You will need:

Chocolate Roulade:

  • 1/2 cup of flour
  • 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 tbsp. butter
  • 1 tbsp. water
Cream Cheese Filling:
  • 1 cup of cream cheese
  • 1 tbsp. confectioners sugar
  • 1 tbsp. coffee liquer
Mocha Sauce( Optional)



  • 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1 1/4 cup water
  • 1 1/2 tsp of instant coffee
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract


 Make sure when you get cocoa powder that it's unsweetened and not sweetened. I know this sounds dumb and I know myself that I should know this, but for some reason I couldn't get that through my head the first two times I did it and it made my recipe whole lot harder then it had to be. Now I really know what they mean about baking being so precise. 

Ok lets get started shall we. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Now butter a 9x13 pan and place a parchment paper in it. Also take two towels and sprinkle confectioners sugar for a later time.  Start by combining the first three ingredients in a small bowl and then set aside. Now place the eggs, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl and mix til its three times it's size. Once you've done that gently fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Now fold in  the melted butter and water.Take the batter and pour it in your pan evenly with a spatula. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn half way through baking.

Once it it done baking quickly turn it out onto a cooling rack and cut lengthwise down the middle. Place the two pieces each on their own towel and roll them. Let them cool for about 15 minutes. this would be good time to make the Cream Cheese Filling and do clean up.


The filling is basic, all you need to do is combine all the ingredients and your done!

Now that the cake part has cooled gently unroll and spread the filling inside. Re-roll and place in the fridge for an hour. Mocha sauce time!

Basically combine all the ingredients except the vanilla in a small pot and bring to a boil. Let it boil for one whole minute. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla.


I almost for got I used nonpareils to resemble the red roe. I didn't have any fancy sushi sets or anything to hold them, but I think they came out great! Especially since this is the first time I've made a Roulade.  

I hope you enjoy making these for a sushi lover in your life as much as I did! Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting..never had it. I just might have to try it. Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christina,
    Based on your delicious Sushi Birthday Cake photos, we'd like to invite you to submit your food photos on a food photography site called http://www.foodporn.net so our readers can enjoy your creations.
    It is absolutely free and fun to make others hungry!
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete