Thursday, September 27, 2012

Disney's Haunted Mansion



Ever since last Friday when I found that Haunted Mansion video I've had it on the brain! That's when I came up with the bright idea to incorporate some of that theme into my home decor for Halloween. It took me a while to make this wreath mostly because of perfection and weekly things that took time away, but I think it looks pretty good! I suggest having a buddy help you because the painting part can be a little time consuming. 

You will need:
  • 100 clothes pins
  • metal wreath 
  • violet, black and pond colored paint with gloss
  • wooden cutouts
  • mod podge
  • jewelry chain
  • jump rings
  • large screw eyes 1 1/16 
  • drill and drill bit 3/24
  • hitch hiking ghosts cutouts ( I used this picture Hitch Hiking Ghosts)
  • haunted mansion lyrics ( I got the snippet I wanted from disneydesignerland.blogspot.com)
  • black ribbon
  • purple card stock ( 8 by 10)
  • stain

The first thing I did was stained everything wooden! I let it air out and dry for 12 to 24 hours. I wanted it to be able to stand up to most weather conditions. Now start painting the clothes pins. I put mine in piles of 33 and then painted one pile at a time so that colors wouldn't intertwine. Thanks to my loving husband who helped me with this job, both while I was there and at work. I did two coats on the pond and black. The violet I did a third because it appeared more runny for some odd reason. Let them dry for a day. While I was painting the clothes pins I painted the wooden cut outs pond colored. These would later be used for the hitch hiking ghosts.



I added mod podge to my violet and black clothes pins because I learned the hard way with not getting gloss in them. I think getting gloss in yours would be most beneficial and less time consuming. 

Now it's time to place the clothes pins in the wreath. Mine had 4 metal bars. I just alternated between the colors, as I was doing this one went on the top the next would go on the bottom and so forth.



If haven't chosen your hitch hiker yet do so now and cut  them out. Mod podge them to the cut outs and place aside to dry. While this going on print your lyrics and mod podge them to the purple card stock. I cut mine to the length and size I wanted after that. Once it was dry I rolled a little at the top and bottom to give it character.



Now that the boards are ready drill some holes on the tops of them. Only enough so that you will be able to screw the rest in by hand.  Screw the screws half way in. You will need to use pliers to open the hoop part a little to string the jump ring through and then close it. First though place the jump rings on the chains and then the screw hoop. Now you can string the chain through the wreath and then attach on the through the screw again. 



Finally the two easiest steps tie your ribbon and attach your lyrics with the clothes pins. 



Another thing I was working on was a little painting on a wooden plaque that says "Tomb Sweet Tomb". I got the concept from the cross stitch on in the ride! The cool thing is you don't have to do this method either. You can totally make it ally your own. 

To do mine just start out but blotting light brown acrylic paint all over the board. Then in some areas bloat brown and red. 



Same blotting method for the flowers. Some are light pink and some are light green with pink in the middle. 
Then add a white patch in the middle. 


Now add the text and your all done. I added large screw eyes  to the top so I could hang it.



Here are a few other great things I got to help complete  my collection. 

                              







6 comments:

  1. This is such a cute wreath Christina. You did a great job. Thanks for linking at Adorned From Above's Link Party this week. Have a great weekend. Debi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina,
    Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/10/almond-sugar-body-scrub-and-wednesdays.html
    from Wednesday until Sunday.
    Hope to see you there.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. disneyland is my favorite place in the world...ever!! i wish i lived in CA. instead, i'm headed to WDW for my bday tomorrow!
    and i understand how you feel a little. just a little. i love kids more than anything, and everyone assumed i'd have a dozen. ;)
    i'm 36 and can't have kids. it sucks. instead i'm an amazing nanny and aunt. my friends call me instead of their mothers for raising kids' advice. the irony, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh and i love the decorations--i meant to say that! hehe. following you.!!

      Delete
    2. Awesome! Happy Birthday! My birthday was Saturday and I wish I got to spend it there! And if you ask me doing what you do makes you just as great as all the mother's out, it's no wonder your friends go to you for advice. :) It won't take place of having your own, I know.

      Delete